High Tides Raise All Ships: A Community of Intentional GrowthFeb 14, 2022
There were two huge motivators for creating Destination Wedding University and the Destination Wedding Playbook Retreat:
- I wanted to give agents real-life, hands-on experience that could help them create a successful travel business, not just offer theoretical info from a book or a one-day overview event.
- I wanted to create a community of agents who support each other, encourage each other, and have each other’s back.
In the world of business, especially with entrepreneurs, there’s this weird zero-sum game thing going on that I don’t think is very helpful or very useful. It’s this idea that in order for me to succeed, I have to outdo you.
I think it’s bullshit.
I think the truth is that there’s more than enough room for everyone to succeed. And we all get there a lot faster if we support each other.
One of the things I am most proud of with the creation of DWU is the bond the agents create and maintain with one another. It’s a network of belonging and mutual care that extends way beyond the classroom and way beyond the Playbook Retreat each year.
This year’s “Bringing Tulum to Cancún” retreat was no different!
The retreat is offered exclusively for DWU grads and this year was held at the amazing Live Aqua Cancún resort. It also happened to fall on Halloween/El día de Los Muertos, so not only did we get to enjoy the fun and finery of a wedding, but we also got to have some extra fun dressing up.
After our weekend, agents left with a whole ton of experience they couldn't get anywhere else — and they also left with connections, contacts, and friendships that I hope will serve them for the entire life of their business.
Here’s the reality in the world of destination weddings:
- A solidly-run destination wedding can earn an agent $10K+ in commissions
- Experts make more money
That’s why Destination Wedding University and the Playbook Retreat are 100% geared towards helping agents become experts that stand out in the field:
- The retreat is an entire weekend of events, each one followed by a detailed debrief.
- The wedding is real, the couple is real, and every event is real.
- I always put on a half-day sales workshop that goes in-depth and covers way more than just the basics.
- We focus on facing fears, overcoming self-doubt, and developing the mindset needed for a successful business.
- We celebrate each other’s wins and help each other through struggles, questions, and frustrations.
- Agents leave with experience and understanding of every single aspect of planning and executing an amazing destination wedding.
My goal with DWU and the retreat is to help agents build a 6-figure business that is fun, fulfilling, and exciting for them.
And I gotta say: I think it’s working. In the middle of a stressful season for travel agents and ongoing COVID issues, this year’s retreat still sold out in just 4 minutes. 🤩 🤩 🤩
This different approach that focuses on teamwork really seems to resonate with agents who are tired of cutthroat tactics and who want a thriving business that FEELS GREAT to build and run.
It might seem weird to say this given the stresses of the last couple of years — but there’s actually never been a better time to commit to your career as a travel expert.
2022 is set to be the biggest destination wedding year since 1980, and all those couples will be looking for fabulous agents who know what they’re doing and know how to deliver.
What about you? Are you ready to move your travel business to the next level and have the time of your life doing it?
Registration for Destination Wedding University is starting soon — I’d love to see you there.